9 Heart Healthy Foods for Older Adults
In honor of National Heart Month, we’re sharing a list of 9 foods to work in to your diet to promote better health.
9 Heart Smart Food Choices for Older Adults
- Oats: This popular breakfast food is loaded with protein and fiber. That combination keeps you full longer so you avoid overeating. The soluble fiber found in oatmeal can also help you manage your cholesterol, further lowering your risk for heart disease.
- Green tea: Research increasingly shows that the antioxidants in green tea help your arteries stay flexible longer. That keeps plaque from building up. Some studies show that blood vessel function can improve very quickly—in as little as 30 minutes—after consuming a cup of green tea.
- Berries: Loaded with fiber and antioxidants, berries are another heart smart food choice. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries are also good options.
- Salmon: The omega-3s packed in this fish help lower triglycerides and slow the rate of artery hardening. It all adds up to a healthier heart.
- Walnuts: Like salmon, walnuts are full of omega-3s. A handful of these healthy nuts can also help boost protein and lower cholesterol.
- Brussels sprouts: While not a very popular vegetable, brussels sprouts are a healthy one. A single cup contains four grams of heart smart soluble fiber.
- Avocado: This tasty fruit—and yes, it is a fruit—is high in healthy monounsaturated fat. It helps reduce LDL, the “bad” type of cholesterol.
- Almond milk: Pure almond milk is rich with magnesium, potassium, and vitamin E. An eight-ounce glass each day can help manage cholesterol.
- Spinach: This leafy green vegetable is a great food choice for many reasons ranging from eye health to heart health.
These are just a few of the many foods known to offer healthy heart benefits.
You can learn more by visiting Getting Healthy on the American Heart Association’s website. There you will find ideas for creating healthy menus, tips for mindful eating, fitness suggestions, and much more.
A Heart Healthy Lifestyle Awaits You at Five Star
From daily fitness programs designed to keep residents active to chef-inspired meal choices, older adults who move to a Five Star Senior Living community find it much easier to live a healthy lifestyle.
View our video library to learn more about the Five Star Dining Experience, and then call the community nearest you to schedule a time to join us for lunch or dinner!