It’s time to get back to you.
With assisted living, you can get back to living your best life in no time. Freedom from everyday chores and errands, with full-service medical resources right there when you need them, means you can live the full life you deserve… connecting with family, actively learning, making new friends over a delicious dinner or fun movie night, and truly feeling at home. Your home.
As we age, the time may come where we need a bit more than a helping hand on an occasional basis. Many older adults will benefit from additional assistance in their daily lives, for example, from help with personal care to well-balanced, nutritious meals to medication management to mobility assistance.
So when you join a Five Star assisted living community, you not only have the help with activities of daily living (ADLs), you can also embrace your best life with numerous social activities, engaging events, an expanded social circle and more, while having peace of mind that comes from having the medical resources and support when you need it.
What exactly is assisted living?
Many people think ‘nursing home’ when they hear the phrase ‘care for seniors.’ And while every assisted living community is different, Five Star assisted living communities are so much more than just ‘getting care.’
Our goal is to remove everyday burdens – such as transportation worries, endless chores, property maintenance, and symptom management – while creating an active, engaging community customized to meet your needs, where you are.
You can prosper and enjoy your best life through services and amenities that focus on physical health, medical support, social connection, intellectual stimulation and emotional/spiritual wellness. You’ll have everything you need in our communities:
- Team members who go above and beyond to make sure you’re living the way you want to, with purpose and meaning
- Fun, enriching activities that let you stay active, mentally sharp, connecting with others, spiritually centered and emotionally supported
- Dining that meets your health needs but never feels like food you “have to” eat, thanks to chef-created, delicious dishes
- Warm and comfortable living spaces that truly let you feel at home
- Full-service medical resources tailored to you, even as your needs change
What is the difference between assisted living and nursing homes?
Assisted living can be best thought of as a busy, involved community atmosphere that lies on the continuum between completely independent living and full-time, nursing-provided care. The key differentiator between assisted living and nursing homes is the level of care that is provided to the resident.
For example, in an assisted living environment, you may need some help with transportation, medication management, housekeeping and other specific activities of daily living such as dressing and personal care, but you can still live independently. By contrast, a nursing home provides a much greater level of medical support and around-the-clock medical care and supervision.
In addition, because assisted living residents are generally active seniors, you experience that highly-desired ‘community feel’ where you are enjoying every day and exploring new opportunities for activities and social time, all while having an extensive support system of team members that help you feel truly involved and cared for.
How much does assisted living cost?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions people have when considering assisted living. It’s completely expected to feel concern that your loved one may have to access retirement savings or proceeds from the sale of a home to pay for assisted living. However, factoring in the relief from numerous expenses you once regularly paid is important when considering the cost of assisted living.
Senior living isn’t just your house that may or may not be fully paid for. As we age, most older adults will eventually need outside help to assist with certain activities like housecleaning, snow removal, transportation, lawn care, grocery shopping and personal care. Hiring a home health aide and housekeeper can add up. According to Genworth, in 2020, these services alone average $9,000 a year!
With that in mind, assisted living can be a very affordable option. Specific pricing varies based on the selected community, type and size of living space and your individual care needs. So it’s important to understand everything included in the assisted living model.
What types of care and services are included in assisted living?
Hospitality is the name of the game in every Five Star community. All of our expert team members are specifically focused on helping you live your best, most fulfilling and engaged life. Towards that end, we offer everything you need for overall wellness. From restaurant-quality dining experiences, to award-winning senior wellness programs, to first-class accommodations, to passionate and committed care professionals….we want you to flourish with us.
Here is a list of the care and services you can expect to be included in your Five Star assisted living experience:
- Fun social, fitness and wellness activities and outings that keep you intellectually, socially, spiritually, physically and emotionally connected
- Dining including individualized, restaurant-style choices with locally-sourced, farm-to-table flavorful meals; and doctor-recommended or dietary-restricted meals
- Care services and medical resources tailored to you, such as medication management, dressing help, mobility assistance and more
- Regular housekeeping and building maintenance
- Utilities including electricity and water
- On-site security
What should I be looking for in an assisted living community?
When you are searching for the right senior living community for you or your loved one, it’s important to know what to look for and which questions to ask. Some answers are clearer than others—such as availability and costs. Others aren’t. Here is a comprehensive list of key tasks and questions to ask if this is your first time evaluating an assisted living community:
1. Begin your search of multiple assisted living communities online. Review websites and social media to get a sense of the care and lifestyle offered, and what services and amenities are available.
2. Ask friends, family and professionals for referrals.
3. Evaluate resident reviews and state survey results.
Once you have narrowed your search, schedule an in-person tour (at least once). Ask these questions:
4. Tell me how your team members are recruited, screened and trained.
5. Describe what a typical day for my loved one would look like.
6. What is your team member turnover rate?
7. Tell me how your community would handle a change in my loved one’s mental, emotional or physical needs.
8. What are the monthly fees and exactly what do they include?
9. Do you have a resident contract?
Finally, list out the pros and cons of your top assisted living community choices and evaluate how well you think each community can best serve your loved ones’ needs and wants.
What does a typical day at a Five Star assisted living community look like?
That’s a little tough to answer because every day is different! A few things we know for sure though—you’ll customize your daily experiences with exciting outings, delicious dining options and an abundance of activities and learning opportunities!
In our experience, and it’s backed by many studies, staying healthy and engaged starts with robust social interactions. When you’re with friends, whether old or new, you thrive because you connect. But why take our word for it? We invite you to take a look at the following resources to meet some of our residents, hear about a day in their lives, and find out what it’s really like living your best life in a Five Star community.
Discover our stories: