The more researchers learn about laughter and humor, the more we see how true the old phrase “laughter is the best medicine” really is.
- Lower blood pressure: Believe it or not, enjoying a good laugh can help lower blood pressure. When you laugh, your blood vessels expand. This increases the blood flow through your body resulting in a decrease in blood pressure.
- Pain relief: People who live with chronic pain might find laughing helps reduce their level of pain. Experts say that is because laughter releases endorphins, which act as a natural painkiller.
- Stress reduction: Another benefit of laughing is that it reduces the level of stress hormones in the body. That helps people feel less stressed and anxious.
- Aerobic workout: If you’ve ever enjoyed an evening where you laughed so much your sides hurt, you know how true this one can be. A good, hearty round of laughter gives your heart—and abs—a workout!
- Improved happiness: Laughter helps you let your guard down and release some of your worries. You’ll find yourself feeling happier and more positive.
What can you do to bring more laughter into your life?
We have a few ideas for you to consider.
How to Laugh More Every Day
- Spend time with young children—they always know how to laugh and help those around them laugh, too!
- Adopt a puppy or kitten from a local shelter. Their antics are always good for a laugh.
- Get a Joke of the Day book and read a joke or two every morning to start your day on a high note.
- Surround yourself with friends and loved ones who make you laugh.
- Stream a comedy on Netflix or purchase a few favorite comedies on DVD so you can replay them often.
- It’s a cliché but consider finding and bookmarking a few funny animal videos on YouTube. Some channels are devoted entirely to animal antics. They can always be counted on for a few minutes of laughter.
- Read the funnies online. Cartoons like Maxine and Peanuts can help you enjoy a few giggles every day.
- Visit a comedy club. While some might be a little zanier than others, local comedy clubs attract comedians of all kinds. Visit the websites of clubs in your area to see who is scheduled to perform. You might find discount coupons on sites like Groupon, too.
At Five Star communities across the country, we know how important it is for residents to socialize and enjoy the companionship of others. Through our Lifestyle360 program, each resident has an opportunity to enjoy a wide variety of programs and events each day. We extend an open invitation to you to stop by a Five Star Senior Living community near you to learn more.