Seniors with Alzheimer’s might not know the dates of the upcoming holiday season, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be able to celebrate. One challenge for many families, however, is finding a gift a senior with Alzheimer’s will enjoy. It can be tough, especially when considering the varying stages and changes caused by the disease.
Gifts that Seniors With Alzheimer’s Can Enjoy
Take a look at these gift ideas for seniors with Alzheimer’s. They’re organized by stage to guide you in finding just the right present for your loved one.
Holiday Gift Ideas for Early Stage Alzheimer’s
For people in the early stages of the disease, a gift that might help them remember things, such as daily tasks or the birthdays of people close to them. You could also opt for something that will keep them engaged and active.
- Activity books, such as crossword puzzles or word searches]
- Simple crafting activities, such as scrapbooking
- Tickets to an event, such as a concert, play, or sporting event
- Magnetic notepads for the refrigerator
- Small notebook for easy transport
- Dry erase board for the wall or refrigerator
- Entertainment, such as CDs or movies
- Family photo album
- A calendar with important dates marked, such as birthdays or anniversaries
- Automatic nightlights
Gifts for Middle Stage Alzheimer’s
In this stage of the disease, someone who has Alzheimer’s will probably be struggling with memory. Multisensory gifts can help lessen anxiety and promote calmness, while also triggering forgotten memories:
- Scented lotions or personal care products
- Soft robe, blanket, or slippers
- Essential oil diffuser
As the disease progresses, the adult will need more care and attention. Easy to wear clothing can make personal care tasks less stressful for the senior and their caregivers:
- Sweatshirts and sweatpants
- Knit clothing
- Velcro shoes
- Loose sleepwear
- Banded, non-skid socks and slippers
You can also opt for gifts that can help make daily life easier:
- A large digital clock that shows both date and time
- Medical alert service in case of emergencies
- A phone that stores the names and numbers of family and friends
- An automatic medicine dispenser
Gifts for Advanced Alzheimer’s
Holiday gifts for this stage of the disease should be chosen carefully, as you don’t want to create any health or safety hazards with seemingly useful items. In addition, adults at this stage are more focused on comfort while also stimulating the senses. You might consider:
- Neck pillow
- GPS location device (in case your loved one were to wander away from home)
- Framed photos or collage of family members
- Visually appealing videos, such as nature documentaries
- CDs of nature sounds, like soft waves hitting the shore or birds chirping
We have plenty more gift ideas for other caring needs and occasions here:
Finally, if you’re still stuck on what to give, always remember that your time is the best gift of all. Find meaningful ways to enjoy time together whether it is just watching a video together or going to a walk around the block.
Making Life Enjoyable at Five Star Senior Living
At Five Star Senior Living communities, we work hard to make every day a good one for residents with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia. Our memory care program recognizes the value of stage-appropriate care and works with residents and their families to create an individual plan of care.
For more information about Memory Care at Five Star Senior Living, please call the community nearest you.