<!–[CDATA[Retirement is something most older adults plan for and look forward to over many years. Being free to pursue old hobbies, explore new passions, travel, and spend time spoiling the grandkids are just a few of the perks of retiring. Sometimes, however, the burdens of home ownership put a crimp in a senior’s desire to live a more carefree lifestyle.
That is when a move to an independent living community might be a solution to consider.
What is an Independent Living Community?
Independent living communities are a senior housing option designed with the active adult in mind. Older adults who chose to move to one are looking for a lifestyle free from the worries of home maintenance and repairs so they have more time to focus on the social side of life.
Independent living comes in several forms:
- Apartments in a dedicated independent living community or on the campus of a larger continuing care community
- Maintenance-free villas or small cottages that are part of a retirement community
What advantages do these communities offer seniors?
Let’s talk about a few of the most common ones.
Benefits of Independent Living Communities
Here are some of the things older adults like most about independent living communities:
- No maintenance or repairs: No more worries about snow shoveling, mowing the lawn, or fixing the dishwasher! A move to independent living comes with a maintenance-free lifestyle.
- Amenities and conveniences: Depending on the community you chose, you’ll find a host of amenities and conveniences. Housekeeping, transportation, trash removal, a beauty/barber shop, and meal plans are a few standard services. Some communities even have a concierge to help you make arrangements for theater tickets, dry cleaning, travel plans, and more.
- Socialization: Independent living communities offer meaningful ways to connect with friends and neighbors each day. It might be a quick cup of coffee in the dining room before heading over to morning devotionals or an afternoon of spirited game playing. Socialization opportunities are a primary reason seniors move to independent living.
- 24-hour security: Independent living communities provide a safe and secure environment for older adults. From having staff onsite around the clock to fire suppression systems and an emergency call system, seniors can feel safe living alone.
- Assistance: Some independent living communities also have programs in place to offer assistance with personal care. This allows an older adult to remain independent longer.
Five Star Senior Living
If you are starting to explore your options for senior housing, we know it can be a bit overwhelming. There are many choices to consider and much to learn about each one. That’s why we created Resources for Families.
In this area of our website you will find information and articles on topics ranging from financial planning to paying for care. We encourage you to bookmark this page and stop by often!