Choosing gifts for an older adult can sometimes be challenging. It may feel like your parent or grandparent has everything they want or need. Finding something meaningful might feel tough.
We have birthday, anniversary, and other gift ideas for your older loved ones whether they live in a senior living community or private home.
Gift Ideas for an Adult Who Lives in a Senior Living Community
If your senior loved one calls an independent, assisted living, or memory care community home, the challenge of finding them a gift can feel especially daunting. Most communities have features and amenities designed to meet residents’ every need or desire.
We’ve noticed residents in Five Star Senior Living communities across the country especially enjoy:
- Framed family photos or a photo album of loved ones
- A calendar with important family dates and photos
- A gift certificate to the community’s beauty/barber shop
- An iPad or other tablet device
- Puzzles and games to play with the grandkids
- A subscription to a streaming service, such as Netflix or Hulu
- A gift card to an arts and crafts supply store
- Comfortable clothes for workouts in the community’s fitness center
What to Buy a Senior Who Has “Everything”
While an older adult who lives in their own private home might have everything they want, what they may need is assistance with household tasks. These types of gifts have the added benefit of making memories with someone they love.
A few suggestions for gifts that help include:
- Creating a booklet with coupons the senior can trade in for computer help, an afternoon preparing and freezing meals, or a trip to the local greenhouse for plants. Have everyone in the family create a coupon or two.
- Helping a senior who may be struggling with the physical demands of gardening transition to a raised bed or container garden. You can grow everything from herbs to tomatoes and cucumbers in a container on the patio or in a window box.
- Rounding up friends and family to schedule a spring-cleaning date. Together, you can help your loved one complete tasks like washing the windows, cleaning out the pantry, and downsizing their closet.
The Gift of Time Is the Best of All
Experience gifts are also great for loved ones wherever they reside. Talk to almost any older adult and they’ll tell you time spent with family is priceless.
A few experience gift ideas include:
- A family dinner in the senior living community’s private dining room or a local restaurant
- An outing to a local play or sporting event
- A movie night either at the senior living community or a nearby movie theater
- A family paint and sip party (serving alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages) with the help of a company like Painting with a Twist or Pinot’s Palette
Tour a Five Star Senior Living Community Near You
If you or an older loved one has been considering moving to a senior living community, spring is a great time to start the search. There’s no better way to learn more than with a personal visit. We invite you to call the Five Star Senior Living community nearest you to schedule a time today!