<!–[CDATA[Being independent and in charge of your own decisions is important at every age and that includes during retirement years. While most of us envision ourselves aging in place independently at home, it isn’t always the best way to protect your independence or your health as you get older. For many seniors, an assisted living community combines the best of two worlds: privacy and support.
Residents in an assisted living community have their own apartment complete with a kitchen and private bath. But they also have caregivers nearby who can provide help if and when it is needed. Their assistance can be used for support with personal care, medication management, housekeeping, and more.
It’s important to realize that by accepting a little extra assistance now you may be able to prevent bigger problems, such as a debilitating fall, poor nutrition, and mistakes with medication, from occurring. It’s the best way to protect your independence as you age.
What other value does an assisted living communities offer to older adults?
Here are just a few of the many benefits that are typically included in the monthly assisted living fee:
- Chef-inspired nutritious meals and snacks
- Transportation services to local destinations and appointments
- Utilities, basic cable, maintenance, and appliance repairs
- Laundry and housekeeping assistance
- Full schedule of life enrichment activities
- On-site wellness programs and classes
- Medication management service
- Group outings and community events
- Emergency call system to summon help in a crisis
Some of the benefits that are derived from moving to an assisted living community are ones you can’t put a price tag on, such as:
- Contentment that results from being surrounded by peers who can relate to and empathize with your challenges and concerns
- Relief and lower stress knowing you are free from the burdens of household chores, repairs, and maintenance tasks
- Security and confidence realizing caregivers are nearby around the clock if you need them
- Peace of mind for your family, who can rest easier knowing that you are in a safe and secure environment
- Ability to relax and spend time on favorite hobbies, new passions, and meaningful visits with family members
If you or a senior in your family is contemplating a move to an assisted living community, you probably have many questions. We created “Frequently Asked Questions about Moving to Assisted Living” to help you find answers. You can also call the Five Star community nearest you with any questions about senior living or to schedule a private tour.