According to a recent survey from HealthStatus, moving is the third most stressful event in a person’s life behind divorce and the death of a loved one. That’s a daunting reality. Whether a senior is downsizing into a condo or moving to a Five Star Senior Living community in Indiana, it can be an emotional time.
Why Seniors Sell Their Homes
Senior real estate specialist Bruce Nemovitz discovered the following information in a survey of more than 80 adults over 50 years old.
The top three reasons older adults decide to sell their homes are:
- Maintenance is too difficult – 42%
- Health issues are forcing the decision– 34%
- Downsizing to make life easier – 10%
Nearly 34% of the senior participants lived in their home for 40 to 50 years before selling, while 68% of the participants lived in their homes for 30 years or more.
Due to the longevity of time spent in their houses, it’s no surprise that the fear of change topped the list of moving concerns affecting 32% of the senior respondents. Though change is scary, Nemovitz found that 76% of respondents said their friends who moved into a senior living community were satisfied with their new housing arrangement.
If your senior loved one is preparing to sell their home, the following suggestions can help you find the best qualified agent.
How to Find a Realtor for an Indiana Senior
When seeking an Indiana real estate agent, search for one with a specialty in senior-related sales. The National Association of Realtors has a specific designation for these agents known as the Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES) title.
Prepare for the Emotional Side of this Move
Selling the family home can be an emotional process. There are likely many happy memories associated with the house and the years your family lived there together. You should expect your senior loved one to be teary at times and for other family members to struggle too.
Interview at Least Three Agents
Don’t settle for the first Realtor you meet. Meeting with at least three agents ensures you’re making an informed choice for your aging loved one.
When preparing to interview potential real estate agents, create a list of questions that reflect your senior loved one’s needs. Some examples include:
- What experience do they have selling older adults’ homes?
- Can they recommend a senior living community in your local Indiana market?
- What certifications do they possess?
- Do they recommend a moving company that specializes in senior moves?
- Do they have a recommendation for a professional liquidator to assist with an estate sale?
- Can the realtor assist your senior loved one with de-cluttering the home to prepare for showings or do they know someone who can?
- In their opinion, what is different about selling a senior’s from other home sales?
- Is this a good market to try to sell a home in?
- How can you help make this move into a senior living community as easy as possible?
We hope this information helps you find a realtor who can assist your loved one in making a smooth transition to a senior living community.