Choosing the Right Type of Senior Living
Senior lifestyle and care housing vary widely, and the choices can be overwhelming. It’s important to think about what kind of assistance and/or medical care is needed now, and what additional assistance or health care might be needed down the road. At every Five Star Senior Living community, we help you assess those needs and find the best option for you or your loved one.
A Variety of Senior Living Options
- Independent Living – Some communities are only for seniors who are completely independent and active. These independent living communities may offer services and amenities such as dining, activities, and housekeeping.
- Assistance Living – Assisted living services typically include options of personal care services such as medication reminders, dressing and bathing assistance, and transportation. Some even offer daily pet care services.
- Full-Service Housing – Full-service communities, sometimes called continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs), offer independent living, assisted living, and also rehabilitation services or skilled nursing care. These communities can be extremely convenient in that you don't have to relocate to another community if your health declines temporarily or permanently, or if you simply start needing some basic assistance with the tasks of daily living.
- Alzheimer’s/Memory Care – Some senior living communities specialize in caring for people with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Five Star Senior Living offers an award-winning dementia care program called Bridge to Rediscovery that focuses on helping people with memory loss continue to feel connected to their families and the world around them.
- Senior Day Programs – For those caring for an elderly loved one in their own home, many Five Star Senior Living communities offer day services. This allows the caregiver time during the day, while their loved one enjoys activities, social interaction, and any needed assistance.
- Short Stays – Most Five Star Senior Living communities have availability for short-term guests when their caregiver needs to travel for a few days or weeks, or simply needs a short break in routine. Short-term guests enjoy all the services and amenities that full-time residents benefit from. This is also a great way to find out if the community is the right fit for your loved one.
- Hospice Care - For patients at the end of life and their families, many Five Star communities offer compassionate counseling and care, so residents can stay right where they are in familiar surroundings during this difficult time. Specially trained hospice professionals can provide comfort and meaning to the last days of life.
Five Star offers 260 senior living communities nationwide, each with its unique local flavor, ambience, services and amenities, so you can find an option that suits both your needs and your preferences. Furthermore, while some retirement communities require a large upfront buy-in fee, all Five Star Senior Living communities are based on a monthly rental fee that includes an apartment and most services and amenities.
Was this article helpful to you? If so, please share it with others!
« Back to Resources for Families