How Much Does Assisted Living Cost?
Understandably, one of the first questions families ask about an assisted living community is how much it costs. In many cases, their senior loved one never imagined leaving their home so it’s a topic that was never discussed. The good news is there are options available to meet a variety of budgets.
Average Cost of an Assisted Living Community
Costs can vary greatly depending upon what area of the country you live in. The size of apartment you choose and the types and amount of services also impact monthly fees.
According to Genworth Financial, the average cost of assisted living
in 2015 was $3,600 per month. While it may cause adult children to experience a bit of sticker shock initially, the services and amenities included in this fee make a move to an assisted living community a smart financial decision.
What is Included in an Assisted Living Monthly Fee?
Most assisted living communities offer a wide variety of standard services and amenities that are included in the monthly fee. They often include:
- An apartment or suite thoughtfully designed to keep an older adult safe and free from falls.
- Emergency call systems in apartments and/or an emergency call pendant option.
- Housekeeping, maintenance and laundry services.
- Nutritious, chef-prepared meals served restaurant-style in the dining room.
- Utilities and basic cable television.
- A full calendar of life enrichment programs to participate in each day.
- Transportation services for errands, appointments and other community outings.
- Wellness programs and senior-friendly fitness activities.
Most assisted living communities use tiered pricing to cover the expenses associated with personal care and assistance with the activities of daily living. The fees for a resident who doesn’t require very much support would be assessed at the lowest tier, while a resident who requires a great deal of daily support would fall in to the highest tier.
Assisted living communities hold care conferences on a regular basis to make sure each resident’s needs are being met and to address any changes or new diagnoses that might impact their cost of care.
We invite you to call the Five Star Senior Living nearest you
to learn more about the cost of assisted living and to explore programs that might help finance your senior loved one’s move.
Was this article helpful to you? If so, please share it with others!
« Back to Resources for Families