Successful Aging Resources
5 Ways to Honor a Veteran on November 11th
November 2, 2015
The Five Star Senior Living communities across the state of Indiana are proud to recognize the veterans who call one of our 16 assisted living communities
home. We know each of them served the Hoosier state and our nation with courage and honor.
On Veteran’s Day -- November 11th
--we hope you will take time out of your day to thank a veteran. It can be something as simple as taking a senior in your family who served out to lunch or shaking hands and saying “thanks” to someone from your church who has a loved one deployed.
5 Ideas You Can Use to Thank Our Veterans
If you would like to do more but aren’t quite sure how to get started, we’ve pulled together a list of ideas to help:
- Give the gift of time. Volunteering a few hours of your time to support a veteran’s group is a great way to give back. Call your local VA clinic or hospital to see what opportunities there are near you. You might also consider getting involved with a non-profit service organization that helps veterans in your area.
- Fly your flag. The American flag represents the freedom our nation’s veterans fought so bravely to defend. Fly your flag proudly on Veteran’s Day and encourage your loved ones and neighbors to do the same.
- Host a letter writing event. Many service organizations are looking for people to write letters to soldiers. A few to consider include Operation Gratitude, Soldiers’ Angels, Operation We Are Here, A Million Thanks and Adopt a US Soldier.
- Start a social media campaign. Use your social media accounts to thank our veterans. Share a photo of an American flag and reminder about Veteran’s Day on Instagram. Change your Facebook profile to an image of a veteran in your life. Tweet out a reminder about the importance of Veteran’s Day. Or do all three!
- Support those left behind. The families of deployed servicemen and women are often overlooked. But it’s just as important to recognize their sacrifice too. The National Military Family Association is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting the families of active duty military personnel. They provide a wide range of assistance including scholarships for struggling families.
We hope this list helps you find a way to thank our nation’s brave soldiers on Veteran’s Days!