Senior Living Resources
7 Benefits of Moving to a Senior Living Community
February 4, 2016
It isn’t uncommon for older adults and their adult children to have outdated ideas about senior living communities. Both are often surprised when they visit one for the first time and see firsthand how active and engaged residents are. Indiana retirement communities are a far cry from their sterile, institutional nursing homes of years past. Most senior living communities appear more like an upscale condominium community. For seniors in the Hoosier state, senior living communities offer a variety of benefits.
7 Advantages of a Senior Living Community
Here are a few reasons you or an older Indiana adult you love should consider a move to a senior living community:
- Friendship and socialization: Recent studios show a link between isolation and health problems in seniors. It can contribute to everything from depression to obesity and early mortality. Senior living communities provide older adults in Indiana an opportunity to develop friendships with peers who share similar interests.
- Life enrichment opportunities: Residents of senior living communities have the opportunity to take part in a variety of life enrichment programs and activities each day. It might be the chance to take a trip to a local museum or join in on a game of bridge with neighbors. Formal and informal activities go on all throughout the day in a retirement community.
- Well-balanced meals: Older adults who move to an Indiana senior living community often find their health improves. Many times it is because they are eating more nutritious, well-balanced meals every day.
- Transportation: Another benefit for older adults who live in a retirement community is access to transportation services. It often makes it easier for a senior to hang up their keys and stop driving. They can take advantage of planned trips to local stores and schedule transportation for private appointments as needed.
- Maintenance-free living: When an Indiana senior moves to an assisted living community from a private home, they typically find they have much more time to enjoy family, friends and favorite hobbies. Being freed from lawn care worries, home repairs and housekeeping gives residents more freedom.
- Safe environment: Senior living communities are designed with safety in mind. Handrails in hallways, grab bars in bathrooms, and emergency call systems are just a few of the amenities that help keep residents safe.
- Peace of mind: Older adults who make a move also find they appreciate the peace of mind a senior living community offers to them and to their busy adult children. Seniors who live alone and have to rely on family members for help with household tasks and errands often feel as if they are a burden to their children. The independence they find in senior housing can relieve those concerns.
We invite you to call the Indiana senior living community closest to you to arrange a time to come for lunch and a tour. Our team will be happy to show you around and help you find a senior care solution that best meets your needs.