On the second Sunday in May, Mother’s Day, we honor all the moms out there. This holiday dates back to 1908 and a woman named Anna Jarvis. The West Virginian daughter started it as a day to honor her own activist mother. In the spirit of continuing her mother’s community activism, Anna sought to teach mothers how to properly care for their children.
This celebration has grown and evolved over the years. Today, grandmothers are an important part of this annual tradition. As life expectancy in the U.S. has grown, grandmothers have come to play increasingly essential roles in the day-to-day lives of their grandchildren.
If you are struggling to come up with a gift for your grandmother this year, we can help. We created this checklist of fun and unique gift ideas for grandmothers.
Mother’s Day Gifts for Grandmas
- Gift certificate for a manicure or pedicure
- Framed photos of the grandkids
- Cozy slippers with nonskid soles
- Basket of her favorite treats
- Family outing to a local zoo or art museum
- Month or two of a home delivery meal service
- Fruit or flower of the month subscription
- Donation to her favorite nonprofit organization
- New birdbath or birdhouse for feathered friends
- Maid for a Day service (even if it’s just family!)
- Makeover or facial at a local salon or spa
- Flat of annual flowers and help planting them
- Necklace personalized with grandkids’ names
- Afternoon of movies at home or a local theater
- Custom throw pillow with grandchildren’s names on it
- Photo shoot for the entire family
- Shawl or pretty sweater for chilly evenings
- Container herb garden for her window or porch
- Books to read with the grandkids (and great-grandkids!)
- Handwritten recipe plate printed with a favorite family recipe
- Plush robe or loungewear
- Essential oil diffusers and a few bottles of oil
- Basket of body oils, scented soaps, and lotion
- Custom watercolor painting of her dog or cat
- Personalized “coupon” book she can trade in for loved ones’ help around the house
Don’t overlook how precious the gift of time is to a grandparent. In lieu of a gift, consider establishing a regular visitation day to spend time together. If you live far away, visit via Skype or another video chat platform.
Five Star Senior Living Celebrates Mothers and Grandmothers
If your mother or grandmother calls a Five Star Senior Living community home, rest assured we have something fun planned on Mother’s Day. From brunches and dinners to family picnics, our communities celebrate the day in a variety of ways.
Should you be considering senior living for a loved one, we invite you to call the Five Star community nearest you. One of our team members will be happy to help you learn about our Lifestyle360 program and our daily events and activities.