At Five Star, every day is a chance to gather around the table and celebrate our shared love of food and our mission to add to the quality of life of the residents and family members we serve. We are proud to share with you some tips and recipes to help make your Thanksgiving special, and Five Star. Enjoy.
With all the preparations that go into hosting a Thanksgiving meal, there often isn’t much time left to consider decorations. Thankfully, there are fast and easy ways to create a festive scene and get everyone in the holiday spirit.
- Eye catching centerpieces inspired by the fall harvest.
- Creative place card settings.
- Napkin rings made out of cranberries.
The dinnerware you choose can help set the overall tone of the table, but that doesn’t mean you need fine china or even matching plates and serving dishes.
- Create a harmonious style with more simple, classic pieces.
- Arrange flatware in the order in which it will be used, starting with the outermost item, with forks on the left side of the plate and knives on the right.
- Make sure all the in-demand items – gravy, cranberry sauce, butter – are easily accessible at the center of the table.
Given the variety of Thanksgiving foods and flavors, it might be difficult to choose just one or two wines to pair with your meal.
- Start off with a dry sparkling Prosecco as a refreshing accompaniment to snacks and appetizers.
- For the main course, opt for a lighter red like Pinot Noir that contrasts well with the heartiness of the feast.
- When it’s time for dessert, consider serving a sweet Port or chilled Riesling.
Recipes – Oven Roasted Turkey
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1 Cup Celery
- 1 Cup Onion
- 1 Cup Carrots
- 1 Lemon, halved
- 1 Bunch Thyme
- 1 Bunch Sage
- Place your turkey on a rack in a roasting pan and stuff the turkey with all ingredients.
- Using butcher’s twine, tie the wings and drumsticks close to the body, then tie the legs together tightly.
- Season with salt and pepper, only if you didn’t brine the turkey.
- If you brined the turkey, season only with pepper.
- Place in a 500-degree oven for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Cover the turkey with foil, turn the oven down to 325 degrees and roast for 3 hours or until the internal temperature of the thigh reads 165 degrees.
- Let the turkey rest for at least 30 minutes.