With that in mind, we developed a home safety assessment you can use to evaluate your older family member’s home. Here are a few issues to look for:
- Do they have grab bars near the toilet and shower?
- Does the shower or tub have a non-skid surface?
- Is the water heater temperature set at 120 degrees or lower?
- Are steady handrails in place on all stairways?
- Is lighting strong in stairways and landings?
- Are traffic areas of the home free from clutter?
- Can they easily access a phone from their bed or favorite chair?
- Is there a clear path from the bedroom to bathroom?
- Is there a night light along the path from the bedroom to the bathroom? And the bedroom to the kitchen?
- Are floors and thresholds throughout the home level and in good shape?
- Does your senior loved one have an adaptive grabber to reach items on higher shelves?
- Are throw rugs removed or secured to the floor?
- Are exterior stairways and walkways well lit and in good repair?
- Is there a working smoke detector on every level of the home?
- Is there a carbon monoxide detector in the home?
- If space heaters are being used, is your older loved one following the safety precautions listed on the instructions?
- Do all doors and windows have working locks?
If you are a long-distance caregiver for a senior or an adult child who is uncomfortable conducting this assessment on your own, Five Star Senior Living has a free service that can help. Through our Friendly Visits program, a member of our team will visit your senior loved one’s home to talk about and review safety concerns.
To receive a complete copy of our Home Safety Assessment Checklist or to schedule a Friendly Visit, please call the senior living community nearest you.