How is Home Care Different than Assisted Living?
Assisted Living Communities Combine the Best of Two Worlds
Here are a few assisted living services and benefits:
- Private apartment: Assisted living residents typically have a private apartment or suite with features designed to help them stay safe. Grab bars in bathrooms, fire suppression systems, and emergency call alerts are just a few.
- Personal care: Caregivers at assisted living communities assist with bathing, dressing, grooming, and managing medication. Providing this support allows the senior to stay safely independent in their own private apartment.
- Social and wellness opportunities: Life enrichment activities and wellness programs are scheduled throughout the day and evening in assisted living communities. For example, residents at Five Star communities benefit from our holistic approach to active community living. Programs focus on nurturing the body, mind, and spirit.
- Around the clock support: One challenge family caregivers face in caring for a senior loved one is managing needs that occur in the hours family members aren’t around. The caregiver might be at work when a senior needs assistance bathing or the older adult may require help getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night. In an assisted living community, caregivers are on-site around the clock.
- Housekeeping and laundry: Assisted living communities handle housekeeping, trash removal, and laundry services for residents. Most also provide a deep cleaning of the resident’s apartment several times a year.
- Chef prepared meals: For residents of an assisted living community, meals are a time to socialize with friends while enjoying delicious, well-balanced meals. Some communities have chefs who are responsible for overseeing menu planning and meal preparations.
- Transportation: This is another popular service offered by assisted living communities. For older adults and their families, transportation services can be invaluable. No one has to worry about taking off work to drive a senior loved one. Transportation can usually be scheduled for shopping trips, community outings, physician appointments, and more.
Home Care Services Explained
For residents who need a little extra help, home care services can be a good short-term solution. Families often utilize a home care agency while they are searching for an assisted living community for their loved one to move to.
Here are a few of the services offered by in-home care providers:
- Companion care for homebound seniors who want someone to play cards with, read to them, or engage in craft projects
- Personal assistance with bathing, dressing, and grooming
- Menu planning, grocery shopping, and meal preparations
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Depending on the state and their licensing requirements, some home care agencies can offer medication reminder services
One of the best ways to learn more about assisted living is by listening to our residents share their own unique stories. In Video Stories you will meet the residents, staff, and families who make Five Star thrive.