Holiday Gifts for a Senior Who Lives in Assisted Living
If you find yourself in this situation, we have some suggestions to help you find a gift your senior will love!
Holiday Gift Guide for Assisted Living Residents
Gifts That Pamper
If your aging family member doesn’t spend money on indulgences, the holidays give you a chance to treat them. You could consider a gift card or family outing:
- Plan an afternoon at a local spa for the ladies in the family to enjoy manicures or facials together.
- Purchase a gift card for a men’s salon offering men’s facials and spa treatments.
- Buy or make a basket of pampering supplies, such as moisturizing face masks, luxurious hand creams, decadent chocolates, and other tasty treats.
- Have each family member buy a gift card to your loved one’s favorite places, such as the craft store, area restaurants, and department stores. Use them to create a gift card bouquet or tree.
Gifts to Enjoy Favorite Hobbies
Retirement means more time for favorite interests and pastimes. Support your loved one’s hobbies with tickets to a local minor league baseball game, watercolor paints, gardening tools, or bird-watching supplies.
Along those lines are memberships to organizations they enjoy. The local zoo, art museum, or park system are a few examples. Assisted living communities, including Five Star Senior Living, often plan outings to these destinations, making them easier to access for adults who no longer drive.
Gifts to Support a Cause
For an older adult who seemingly has everything, donating to an organization dear to them is another holiday gift idea. Whether it is an outright monetary donation or items purchased from the organization’s online store, they’ll likely appreciate the gesture.
A few nonprofit organizations with online stores include:
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Cancer Society
- The Humane Society of the United States
- National Public Radio (NPR)
- World Wildlife Fund
Gift of Time
Many older adults say the gift of family members’ time is the most meaningful. Organize a family night to the ballet or theater to enjoy a holiday classic like The Nutcracker or A Christmas Carol.
Most assisted living communities have private dining rooms or meeting spaces families can reserve. You can use one for a potluck or holiday gift exchange with your extended family. The dining staff at the community may be able to provide appetizers or desserts for your gathering.
Five Star Dining Services
At Five Star Senior Living communities, you will find a variety of dining options to choose from. Residents can enjoy a formal dinner with friends or a quick bite in one of our bistros. That flexibility is what we call MyChoice Dining.
If you or an older adult in your life is beginning the search for an assisted living community, call us at (617) 796-8387 to learn more and schedule a private tour!