Healthy Snacks for Older Adults
Aging well means committing to a positive lifestyle. From exercise and hydration to eating well and managing stress, your choices can influence your health as you grow older. Making smart food choices includes paying attention to not just meals, but also to snacks.
We have some fresh ideas for healthy snacks to try. Each can be prepared quickly and with little fuss.
16 Healthy Snacks for Older Adults
- Apple slices topped with natural peanut butter
- Hummus with fresh vegetables or baked pita chips
- Plain Greek yogurt mixed with cinnamon or fresh fruit
- Popcorn without butter
- Handful of almonds, walnuts, or pistachios
- Red bell pepper and guacamole
- Frozen fruit smoothie
- Homemade paleo-friendly granola
- Celery with peanut butter and raisins
- Pears lightly covered with ricotta cheese
- Turkey slices rolled up with avocado
- Bowl of fresh berries or melon
- Sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella
- Fruit kabobs served with vanilla-honey dip
- Cinnamon-sprinkled grilled peaches
- Hard-boiled egg with a piece of whole wheat toast
Another option is to explore and bookmark a few websites that share recipes for healthy snacks.
Recipes for Healthy, Senior-Friendly Treats
Visit these sites for tasty, nutritious treat ideas:
- 21 Healthy Snack Recipes from One Ingredient Chef
- 100 Healthy Snack Recipes collated by Cooking Light
- 121 Easy & Delicious Healthy Snacks by SnackNation
- 103 Healthy Snack Recipe Ideas from Rachael Ray Magazine
If you are wondering how to incorporate snacks into menu planning, especially if you are a senior, it’s important to understand how nutritional needs change as you grow older.
Senior-Friendly Menu Planning
Another great source to help you learn more about good nutrition is the National Council on Aging (NCOA). Healthy Eating Tips for Seniors has resources and videos ranging from eating well on a budget to what recommended serving sizes for older adults look like.
One final tip is to subscribe to the Five Star Senior Living newsletter. You will receive the latest news on aging and wellness for older adults delivered right to your inbox. No worries about spam and junk email. We’ll never share or sell your personal information!
Visit Five Star Senior Living for a Complimentary Meal
Prepared under the direction of celebrity chef Brad Miller, meals and snacks at Five Star Senior Living communities are nutritious and delicious. Our dining services program is a popular part of daily life. We invite you to see for yourself. Call us at (617) 796-8387 to arrange a time to join us for a complimentary meal of your choice!