Consider the glass half full
Recall this timeless question: Is the glass half full or half empty?
Studies show that positive thinking has many benefits. The Mayo Clinic cites a long list of the benefits of maintaining a positive attitude:
- Longer life span
- A decrease in symptoms of depression
- Reduced anxiety and stress
- Strong immune system
- Better psychological and emotional health
- Reduced risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease
- Improved coping skills
Put on a happy face
The daily news is enough to make anyone feel low right now. This is why it’s important to maintain a positive attitude.
So try this simple exercise: Smile!
How do you feel?
It’s hard to feel down when you’ve got a grin on your face. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to having a positive outlook on life.
Another way to boost your is by repeating positive affirmations on a daily basis. Psychologist Dr. Carmen Harra suggests repeating a couple of these affirmations might get you in to a positive frame of mind every morning when you wake up or at night before you go to bed:
- Today, I am brimming with energy and overflowing with joy.
- My body is healthy; my mind is brilliant; my soul is tranquil.
- I am superior to negative thoughts and low actions.
- I have been given endless talents which I begin to utilize today.
- My thoughts are filled with positivity and my life is plentiful with prosperity.
- Today, I abandon my old habits and take up new, more positive ones.
- Many people look up to me and recognize my worth; I am admired.
- I am blessed with an incredible family and wonderful friends.
- I acknowledge my own self-worth; my confidence is soaring.
Many people find it helpful to create their own affirmations so that they can personalize the language.
You can do so by answering:
- What are your goals?
- What do you want out of your own life?
Write your answers down in a journal or a notepad. Use them to create your own positive affirmations that you repeat to yourself whenever you need a boost of happiness.
Live Well at Five Star Senior Living
For many people, happiness comes from being surrounded by supportive friends and family. Residents of Five Star Senior Living communities across Indiana are a testament to that philosophy. To continue to learn more about aging with success, subscribe to our Indiana blog where we share the latest news and findings!