Makes 8-12 pieces
Ingredients You'll Need
- 1 lb. oyster mushrooms
- 1 lb. shitake mushrooms
- 1 loaf hearty bread, sliced
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- 4-6 oz. mixed greens
- 1 oz. truffle oil
- Olive oil as needed
- Trim the mushrooms, removing stems/base. The shitake mushrooms need to be cut up lightly, batonet (1/4” sticks).
- Using a food processor or your hands, mix the feta with a bit of olive oil. This will help make the cheese creamy. Use as much oil as needed to get to a thick creamy state. Set aside at room temp.
- Lightly drizzle a bit of olive oil on the mushrooms. Grill the mushrooms until tender, seasoning well with salt and pepper. They need to be grilled separately; the shitakes take longer than the oysters. Set aside in a bowl (same bowl).
- Lightly oil one side of the bread and grill until it is crispy, a bit of char adds to the flavor, but not too much.
- While the bread is still warm, spread the feta mixture on top of the grilled bread.
- Add the mixed greens to the warm mushrooms, adding the truffle oil. Mix in to allow the greens to wilt slightly. Taste for seasoning.
- Place the mixture on top of the feta covered toast, and enjoy.