Lemon Chess Pie
Makes one 9 in. pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham crumbs
- 1/4 lb. butter, chilled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. cold Water
- 1 lemon worth of lemon zest
- Using a food processor is the best to keep items away from heat of your hands; mix butter and graham together to form course meal.
- Gradually add water as needed to form moist dough.
- Roll into balls, wrap, and chill for a minimum of two hours.
- Remove dough and roll out into round circle roughly 12 inches across.
- Place dough into 9 inch pie shell, using weights or docking. Bake shell off at 425 degrees for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Remove and allow to chill
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour into cooled pie shell.
- Bake off in 350F oven 45 minutes to an hour, or until slightly set. Note: If the edges of the crust start to darken, cover with foil to prevent burning.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature to allow to fully set, or in a pie chest.