Coconut Almond Chicken Stew
Makes 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients You'll Need
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. roasted red chili paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 large sweet potato (1 pound), peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked jasmine rice or basmati rice (optional)
- Season chicken with sea salt and pepper. Heat oil in 5-quart nonstick Dutch oven or saucepot on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove chicken. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chili paste; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk, sweet potato and bell pepper. Bring just to boil. Return chicken and any juices to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sweet potato is tender.
- Mix almond butter, lime juice and 1 cup of sauce from the stew in medium bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Gradually stir back into stew. Simmer 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over cooked rice, if desired.